Certain foreign nationals who are temporarily in the United States may file an application for employment authorization to request an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), which authorizes them to work legally in the U.S. during the time the EAD is valid.

Our immigration attorneys may assist you in determining whether you fall into one of the categories of foreign nationals eligible to work in the United States. Eligibility for employment authorization will depend upon whether you are:

  1. Authorized to work for a specific employer as the result of your nonimmigrant status;
  2. Authorized to work incident to your status; or
  3. Required to apply for employment authorization in order to work.

Those applicants who are authorized to work for a particular employer based upon their status are not required to file a separate application for employment authorization, while members of the other two categories generally are.

Examples of applicants who may be eligible for employment authorization incident to their status include fiancé(e)s of U.S. citizens or those who have received Temporary Protected Status. Those required to seek employment authorization based upon their status include applicants for adjustment, nonimmigrant students seeking optional practical training directly related to their course of study or seeking off-campus employment due to severe economic hardship, applicants for asylum, spouses and children of diplomats, and certain H-4 spouses. One of our Michigan employment authorization lawyers could determine if a particular immigrant is eligible to request an EAD.

Call Us Today to Get Started

Allow Us To Guide You On Your Immigration Journey.